Contact importing now available in the new Google Contacts preview
We recently announced that the new Google Contacts is available for preview from the Admin console. By enabling the preview, administrators can allow their users access to the new Google Contacts, along with the many benefits that come with it, like a new fresh look and improved contact merge features.
One popular request from Google Apps users was the ability to easily import their contacts into Google Contacts. We’re happy to announce that starting today, the ability to import contacts, powered by ShuttleCloud, is now available for Google Apps users.
Getting started for administrators
- Administrators must first enable the “Contacts Preview” for their users via Apps > Google Apps > Settings for Contacts > Advanced Settings
- Administrators must also enable “User email uploads” in the Gmail User Settings by going to Apps > Google Apps > Settings for Gmail > Advanced Settings
Getting started for users
- Users can now import contacts from a wide variety of supported mail and contact sources.
- From the new Google Contacts preview, simply click More > Import > and choose the account that you’d like to migrate from.
- You will be prompted for that account’s username and password, and your contacts will start transferring once you have successfully granted authorization.
- If you do need to import your contacts using a CSV file, click on CSV file in the above dialog box, and then click on Go to Old Contacts to be taken to Contacts Manager.
Launching to both Rapid release and Scheduled release
Full rollout (1-3 days for feature visibility)
All end users
Admin action suggested/FYI, OR
Change management suggested/FYI
Reference by Google.com